Everyone with email gets forwards. Some are worth reading, some worth passing on. Whether it made me think, smile or laugh, these are the ones that caught my attention. Which ones caught yours?

2.03.2008

Prioritize your problems

We all get those heart-tugging emails at holiday time about Life Lessons. Well, the message below came across my computer at work via a listserver for college counselors. It's not a forward, technically, though I hope it will be....

the message:
Last night as I got back in my car after working out at the gym, I checked my phone as I always do. On the screen it read, "PLEASE CALL" from my wife, Lisa. This was highly unusual to see a text from Lisa, as she has never once done so. My heart began to pound, and my hand started to shake, as I tried to find the talk button to call her.

The phone rang 5 times and then the voice mail activated. After leaving the short message of "Call Me Now" on her phone I hung up, only knowing that something had happened to one of my children. As I sat in the parking lot of Ballys, I redialed the phone. After 4 rings Lisa answered with "Paul" to which I replied, "What is Wrong". That is when the words that no parent wants to hear came out, "Kenzie was in a wreck".

Last night, my oldest daughter MacKenzie was in an accident, without going in to the long details I will tell you this...

As she went, what appears to be under the semi, it's tire must have drove up on the back bumper, on her side of the vehicle, which shattered the rear window. The rubber marks on the rear quarter panel show that the truck then must have slide back down forcing her car to shoot back out. She then spun counter clock wise hitting a guard rail, then coming to a rest.

As I sat looking at the car last night, with MacKenzie standing next to me, un-hurt, it dawned on me, that my little girl, could have very well been taken away from us last night. In less time than it takes to say, I love you, she could have been literally been run over, and crushed by the truck, and life would have forever changed.

MacKenzie, apologized to me last night for "Wrecking" a car...My reaction,
"I Love You". I then simply asked her to try and remember this, "Prioritize your problems. A wrecked car is not a problem at all, it is an inconvenience, at best.

Why am I sending this to you this morning... I have no clue, other than to say...

Every day, we sit in our offices, we work hard, we have meetings, we live in chaos. Every day, is how can we sell more of this, or do more of that. Then we rush out once a year to buy presents for our kids, friends, co workers, and for people we do not even know, thinking that this exchange of products somehow makes a difference in people's lives, and sometimes it may.

I for one have allowed many things to take my focus off of what is important, and what is not, this year. I have ignored people I shouldn't, and I have allowed things to bother me that just are not worth the bother. I have forgotten what is important, and allowed my stubbornness, and pride to take control of my life at times.

Every year I try to sit back and reflect what the past 12 months have allowed me to accomplish, and this year I must say, I felt I have accomplished very little, until last night. Last night showed me that no matter what is parked in my garage, or what my garage is attached to, the true gift is who, not what, is in the house.

I appreciate those of you on this list very much, and I just wanted you to know that.
Have a happy Holiday, I know I will!
Paul Jones
ACCA-l
12.07

No comments: